RIGHT TO SLEEP ??

I aroused from my sleep hearing that. The tiredness and frustration of waking up at the wrong time came to me. I didn't know when I slept, finishing the final episode of the webseries. Nothing could compensate the sleep, other than just sleeping. I still wanted to sleep.

 But wait... What was that? A loud dissonant sound pierced into my ears. It was dark outside. I checked my mobile phone. It was just 4 am. The sound was from a loud speaker. Who's making such noise?

It was from the temple right next to my home. That wasn't a song or a bhajan but a chanting  by an unprofessional devotee with a terrible voice. That too by a loud speaker. It literally ruined my sleeping. The nuisance continued for a few more hours and I couldn't sleep till that ended.

I have no problem with any things happening in temple. Even if it's a church or mosque, I don't care. But I have problem with the loud noise in the wrong time.

I told my mother about this. She handed the conversation in a diplomatic way. I don't know, if it was some other institution in place of the temple, she might make a comment about it. Can't blame, in India, religion is a very sensitive thing. If there occurred a clash between religion and human, religion would gain the public support even if the human deserves justice. In short, not every human would stand for a human, if religion is the opposition.

I don't want to go deep into religion. Maybe next time. What I did was, I took the phone and made a Google search, which was...

Right to Sleep!
And I found...

Under Article 19(1) (a), read with Article 21 of the Constitution of India, the citizens have a right of a decent environment and they have a right to live peacefully, right to sleep at night and to have a right to leisure which is all necessary ingredients of the right to life guaranteed under Article 21 of the Constitution. People of India have a right to sleep and leisure. Disruption or disturbance in sleeps creates mental stress, deficient in working efficiency and other thing. 

Cool. What about the noise pollution?

Noise is a pollutant which causes material injury to the rights of an individual. It contaminates environment, causes nuisance and affects the health of a person and therefore, it exceeds a reasonable limit, offends Article 21 of the Indian Constitution. A bye-law of a Municipality requiring permission for using a loudspeaker does not infringe Article 19(1)(a). The World Health Organization has fixed 45 decibels as the safe noise level for a city. By the international standards, a noise level up to 64 decibels is considered tolerable.

Very well. It is so much important to get proper sleep. Because it is a biological imperative. It is not negotiable. Any degree of sleepiness will impair performance and mood.

So get proper sleep. Thanks. 








Comments

  1. Well said... Also by referring those constitutional stuffs.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment